Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Internet Safety

I watched Videos from ilearn.isafe.org and I read the article "Finding and Sharing the Gospel Online" in the Ensign, Oct. 2009

1. From the readings/videos- I never realized how much a person can narrow down your personal information from even just your screen name and I must admit I have been guilty of putting to much personal info in that as well as many of my friends. Some of the videos on here were not so great and others really helped me to see just how easy it is for a predator to pin down my exact location. One of the best things i learned is iruleit.net where you can make different versions for your profile and it protects your identity more. From the readings I learned that it is Internet communication is a great way to share the gospel but even in there it talked about being safe and meeting in groups with some people that you already know if others are not people you previously know. It is also important to constantly sound professional on the Internet, even if its a social networking site.

2. I definitely feel more prepared as a teacher and parent to teach and encourage Internet safety in numerous ways. I would encourage all my students to watch their profile information, including names, birth dates, location, etc. I know more of what to watch for and now am equipped with video and stories to back my precautions.

3. My family didn't even realize how much personal info they had just given away until I talked to them. They are now more aware of this and can present themselves better on the Internet while also protecting themselves more.

4. I was aware of the crime cyber bullying but I did not know that was the official name for it. Even TV shows have hit on the dangers of cyber bullying and how it can affect a students life. To prevent it as a teacher I could encourage only letting best friends and family have access to your full profile. People from class or others should only have very limited access to the profile. Also, teach of the dangers cyberbullying and how it can affect lives.

5. For teaching I really liked iLearn.Isafe.org It had several videos about different challenges we may face and some ways to avoid vulnerability on the Internet.

6. I feel as a teacher I will face after math of cyberbullying, hence why i want to teach about it.

7. I hope that I can establish a safe learning environment. I would like to have a day or two set aside where we go to a computer lab and set up their limited profiles on identity.net and then we can discuss what site should get which profile. Since I could possibly use some internet site that would require my students to set up profiles I would need to help encourage internet safety not just on social sites. As a dance teacher I could tell them how to set up a secondary e-mail that will forward to their other e-mail to hopefully avoid spaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment