Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sharing about Internet safety

I tried to share with my sister, just 4 years shy of my age, some of the things I have learned. It didn't go over as well as I would have thought but it presented some challenges I might face when I present Internet Safety to students.

- I presented how much her common used screenname says about her, some of which is not true. My sister has a similar name to beaver8787. The name beaver to some has a sexual meaning though the person may just actually love the animal. Then 8787 could be the birthday 8/7/1987. My sisters reaction was one of anger though. She said she is not going to just go and change all her e-mails and screennames because others are dumb. Something I had not thought of and have't decided how to combat that if I had a student bring that up. Hopefully they woudln't have that much to change.

- I presented the fact that she could limit her profiles more and she said that takes to much work. Work compared to safety is of the greatest value. She seemed in a hurry and already shutdown but I hope if I keep working with her we can become a safer Internet family.

No comments:

Post a Comment